One of the most important goals of a business owner is to keep the business profitable and successful, but giving back to the community is what makes it more meaningful. A business with a sense of social responsibility makes a business owner feel more satisfied in giving back and it’s also more attractive to its target market.
Customers also prefer to patronize businesses that are socially responsible. 88% of Americans choose to purchase from a company with a purpose. Giving back to the community is one way to meet your customers’ expectations.
Here are some ways how business owners can enhance the community:
Sponsor non-profit organizations
One way to give back is to sponsor an organization that needs help by attending events and connecting with them, lending them your office space or providing skills-based services. Sharing knowledge is the best way to engage with others while enhancing innovation and growth.
You can also donate to non-profit organizations by starting up a crowdfunding campaign. There are fundraising sites like GoFundMe that are free and equally donates to your fundraiser. When you share your campaign on social media, email or blogs, it is beneficial not only to your purpose but also to your company that will get positive branding and will lead to attracting new customers.
Contribute to the local economy
You can help boost your local economy by buying materials and supplies from local vendors and partnering with local businesses for your other purchases. You may also recommend to other business owners you work with to do the same. If you have strong relationships with the vendors and your partners, you help your company develop a good reputation.
Another way of enhancing your local economy is by improving your own property like creating green spaces, supporting local events and doing traditional local networking. These will attract both local and new customers, thus stimulating the economy.
Promote environmental awareness
If your business is located near a residential area, you can encourage walking or biking to your customers to lessen the use of vehicles, improve air quality and reduce traffic congestion. New business owners can also opt to rent older buildings that give a charming and unique look to the storefront.
Using recycled materials will also help protect the environment that will eventually lead to improving your community. By reducing your company’s carbon footprint, you help create a positive brand that attracts customers.
Here are some ways to promote environmental awareness:
- Go paperless. This will not only lower office costs and save more trees, but will also help you communicate and promote your business with your customers online.
- Provide reusable work uniforms. This will give your employees a more professional look than disposable ones. It also promotes lesser waste so it’s better for the environment.
- Reduce energy consumption. Switching to eco-friendly lighting and simply turning off lights and appliances when not in use are a big help. Communicate energy conservation policies to your employees to save the environment and lower your electric bills.
- Invest in office plants. Indoor plants can help improve oxygen levels in the room. It also helps reduce stress and anxiety, make the workspace more beautiful and enhance the overall atmosphere.
- Create Incentives. Incentive programs will make your employees get involved in your environmental cause. By doing simple shoutouts for biking to work or rewarding people that come up with good ideas for helping the company go green, they will be more encouraged to help with your initiative.
Create local jobs
Most people leave their small towns and find better job opportunities in the city. If a town or small city has a successful small business environment, it can help make people stay and improve the local economy. When people are able to work near their homes and prefer to shop or dine near their workplace, the money continues to stay local.
It also helps your business by encouraging word-of-mouth advertising from your employees. Local employment also strengthens the bond within the community, and that also helps promote the branding of your business.
Supporting a cause or your own community is one of the most effective ways to build your company’s brand. It helps expand your customer base, increase loyalty, and improves employee retention. Simply put, a socially responsible culture attracts more people.
A socially responsible business owner has a great business image and branding. Customers also prefer a company with a purpose. Making the effort to improve the community that you’re in and inspiring others is the most rewarding and valuable thing that your business can have.